On November 6, 2017, the New York City Council passed Int. 1313-2016 that amends the Paid Sick Leave Law. Don’t panic, employers.
The law does not require additional leave. It merely adds another covered reason that employees may use earned paid time off. New York City’s paid sick leave law will now be entitled the “Earned Safe and Sick Time Act.”
Employees will be able to use earned safe/sick time for the following reasons if the employee or the employee’s family member has been the victim of a “family offense matter”, sexual offense, or human trafficking:
- to obtain services from a domestic violence shelter, rape crisis center, or other shelter or services program for relief from a family offense matter, sexual offense, stalking, or human trafficking;
- to participate in safety planning, temporarily or permanently relocate, or take other actions to increase the safety of the employee or employee’s family members from future family offense matters, sexual offenses, stalking, or human trafficking;
- to meet with a civil attorney or other social service provider to obtain information and advice on, and prepare for or participate in any criminal or civil proceeding, including but not limited to, matters related to a family offense matter, sexual offense, stalking, human trafficking, custody, visitation, matrimonial issues, orders of protection, immigration, housing, discrimination in employment, housing or consumer credit;
- to file a complaint or domestic incident report with law enforcement;
- to meet with a district attorney’s office;
- to enroll children in a new school; or to take other actions necessary to maintain, improve, or restore the physical, psychological, or economic health or safety of the employee or the employee’s family member or to protect those who associate or work with the employee.
Employers will also be required to issue to all employees a Notice of Employee Rights notice to employees no later than June 4, 2018. New hires hired on or after May 5, 2018 should be given a copy of the revised Notice of Employee Rights as well. The DCA will be issuing a revised Notice of Employee. We will update you when that is issued.